Sunday, December 8, 2013

Still.

Music by Daughter

Aha! I’ve finally done it. I said ‘this is what I’ll do for the month,’ and actually followed through… at least for the first week. Maybe I just find researching religions and spirituality interesting.

This week, my focus was on Islam, as it’s the second largest organized religion practiced throughout the world. I was interested in it also because this religion is at the heart of many controversies in the states and the Middle East. It was fascinating reading up on it; I was ignorant, as it turns out. Many things about the Islamic faith have been blown up in the media, such as the extremist side of it. But at its core, it’s a simple monotheistic belief in a God who had prophets on the planet to guide us. That’s just the base line, as I came to understand. A lot of things branch out from there, separating Islam from other major religions. One thing I looked into a bit more is the Sunni and Shi’a situation. Turns out that started all because Muslims at the time couldn’t agree on which religious leader to follow after the ‘last prophet’ Muhammad. From there, it only escalated.

Interesting, for sure, but I won’t go into details. I’m no expert.
If anyone’s interested in getting into the nitty gritty of it all, you can go here and explore.


Something I want to explore more myself is the idea of spirituality vs. religion. As I mentioned in the last note, I thought they were kind of the same thing. If you start researching online, many articles pop up on the subject, but they’re all so biased. The Christian websites all say spirituality is the part of Christianity that enhances your relationship with God. Those on the other side of the fence say everything positive about spirituality- like being kind to other humans, having inner peace, etc.- while saying everything negative about organized religion- i.e. being forced into it, being asleep throughout life, being stifled, etc. This is going to be something I’ll have to figure out on my own, instead of looking for an answer somewhere else, or from someone else.


Innnteresting.

-Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment