Friday, March 7, 2014

Gooey.

Music by Glass Animals.

Why doesn't everyone love exercise?! I don't get it. It's hard, I get that much. You tire easily, you don't want to lift heavy things right now, you don't want to get sweaty, you don't have the money to be part of a gym, etc. I've heard so many excuses. But.. but.. it's FUN. Well, not the act of it.

The results. I absolutely love seeing the results of my hard work. They make themselves known when I set a personal record during a 5k road race. They show up when I don't get out of breath walking up ten flights of stairs. They appear magically when I have to lift a 50-70lb box off the ground to put it on a shelf. It's not even about looking good... though that certainly is appealing to me. It's about knowing my body will carry me through life and not break down through non-use. It's knowing that I did everything I could to make my body work to its design.

I got into a bit of a tiff with my younger bro over Skype last night. He works in a kitchen as one of the top guys and claims that his shifts there are definitely workout enough. I disagreed, to which he got very offended- because I "don't know the half of his job." No, I know little to absolutely nothing about working on the line in a kitchen. But I do know the physical demands of working on a flight line and in a plane for about 14 hours a day. I know what physically demanding jobs are. Though now that I'm reviewing the conversation in my head, he did have a point. My brother doesn't spend an hour almost every day at the gym a week. He hasn't been working out consistently for the past two or three years like I have. So maybe this job is as demanding as he can take right now. That's okay.

The conversation actually started because I think he should be doing something else in his free time other than going into his job early. Cool that you love your job, bro, but you need a hobby.

Gettin' ripped is my hobby. For now.
Anyway, progress update- set a personal record for my deadlift (#245).

And for the next week, I'll get to snowboard four times. How lucky am I?!
Go fitness!
-Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment