Saturday, July 13, 2013

Beat Your Heartbeat.

Originally, I went with naming the blog entries by week... but how boring! Usually, when forced into a creative project (either internally or externally forced), I rely on music to guide where the project goes. So in line with my number one resolution of 'being me,' I've decided to title my blogs with references to the music inspiring me as I type the entry. Much better.

So, two weeks down, and feeling good!

There were several times this week that caught me about to walk out the door and I would realize I hadn't washed my dishes or put my clothes away or some other menial task. Each time, I had a small back-and-forth argument in my brain about whether to hold off until I got back or do them now. Normally the procrastinator would win within two seconds, but because of this conscious effort to improve, I gave in to the go-getter. Honestly, it made me feel better every single time. After finishing up whatever task I had to take care of, there must have been an actual boost in some brain chemical that made me feel satisfied. Like, "thank goodness you did that now, because later, you're going to be exhausted or not have time or need those clothes clean and representable." It's always nice coming home to no chores, because you've already done them!........ or someone else did them for you.

Oh, found this neat little blog on procrastination. Tips and tricks in numbered format, everyone loves that stuff.


For my bad habits tracker:
Nails- no desire to put them in my mouth anymore, so I think it's safe to say I've kicked that habit.
Knuckles- look, I don't want arthritis as much as the next person, but my thumb knuckles are too easy to just 'pop' and move on. That's a tough one, but almost a battle I don't care to fight. Maybe when I get crippling arthritis as an elderly woman, it'll just be in those two fingers and I'll have eight others to carry the weight. Yeah... that's how that works... science...
Cussing- oh how easily you notice something when you're trying to avoid it. I honestly don't use foul language often enough for it to be a real habit, but apparently I can't go a single day without one or two bad words, even just to mimic or quote someone else. No excuses! I'll stop it, dangit.


This past week has been stressful in the work realm. It's made me think maybe I should've started my project with a month of patience. Though, because every morning and night it's part of my checklist to review my resolutions, when I'm about to say something mean or get frustrated over something insane at work, I instead refer back to my list- aka my safe zone. 'Let it go' has been a big one for me this week, as well as 'build up, never belittle.' It's easy to get a superiority complex in this job if you're good at it, but instead I want to be the helpful person at work that people want to approach. I'd rather a situation go down like this:
"Hey, Jamie, you're really awesome at this, would you please show me how to do it?"
than this:
[to someone else] "I don't want to ask Jamie about it, she's condescending and makes me feel stupid."

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say we've all worked with people like the 'latter Jamie' at some point, and if you don't think you have, you were probably that person. It's not fun, so I would much rather be approachable and friendly to people.


Resolutions- they're key.
Okay, enough babbling for this entry. Until next time, peace.
-Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment