Wednesday, April 2, 2014

April: Get smart(er).

April:
Get smart(er).

- Learn something, anything, every day.
- Incorporate Luminosity.
- Research instead of accept.

Yeahyeahyeah, I get told I'm smart all the time; all my life it's been that way. Studies have shown that children are affected negatively by that praise. It's more beneficial to their development to say something like, "Oh, what great work ethic you have!" Rewarding them for working hard reinforces the habit, therefore producing a child that strives to dig at everything. Telling a kid they're smart only makes them feel the pain of failure times a billion. So they're afraid to fail and try to skate by on this natural genius they've been told they are in high supply of.

I suffer from the latter affliction.
Also, when someone tells me I'm smart, I feel like Ricky Bobby in that interview. I just don't know what to do with my hands.

This month, however, I would like to put a spotlight on learning. Every day, I'll learn something (doesn't matter by what method or from which learning medium). I will incorporate the luminosity app that promises to expand my thinking, just to see where it goes. And normally when someone says something with enough conviction, I'm quick to accept it as truth. Not this month! I will try to research things on my own accord and arrive at the meaning myself.

That's all I've got on my plate this month. Should be easy enough since I start my Anatomy and Physiology course next Monday as well as language training down in Tokyo the weekend after that. Learning should occur... or there is something wrong with my braiiiin.
-Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment