We've been working so much, I barely have time to go buy groceries. They keep calling us into work for several hours even when we should have down time- which brings my big goal for this month into the spotlight. To 'lighten up' is a difficult thing for me. When people are annoying or pick on little things that I don't find important, I'm quick to brush them off. I'm quick to shut them down. But because of this month's theme, I'm fighting my worst trait every day. I consider this my worst trait because when it rears its ugly head, I cut people down and strike the match that will burn the bridge later. That's not good- for career, for friendships, for whatever you could name right now. I don't want to make it to my late 20s or 30s and realize that I treat people horribly when I don't agree with their approach or ideas.
In the office now, I have to be ever mindful of letting others speak freely without harshly retorting. When I start tensing, I just need to let all the muscles in my body relax as much as possible and be a listener. If it gets too bad, leaving the office to shake it off will be a big help, I'm sure. Not storming out though.
Today, I went with some people to a waterfall up north. The hike was short, but the waterfall was so beautiful. We hiked to the top of the waterfall after playing in its waters below for a while. As I sat on the top, instead of worrying about the time or starting to head back, I just sat on the edge and enjoyed the water rushing from the stream behind me down to the floor below. It was relaxing. No one was in a rush, everyone was enjoying the cool water on this scorching day. It was exactly the kind of thing I want to practice throughout the month, every day. People say they don't have time to lighten up or relax, they have to push through and work hard or whatever it is they complain about. Well, I'm going to change my frame of mind to, 'I don't have time to be serious.'
Especially when it doesn't matter or help the situation at all in the end.
Off to start another week of attempting a lightness I've yet to find in my life.
And I leave you with a joke:
Two cows standing next to each other in a field, Daisy says
to
Dolly, "I was artificially inseminated this morning."
"I don't believe you," said Dolly.
"It's true, no bull!"
Peace.
-Jamie
No comments:
Post a Comment