Wednesday, January 1, 2014

January: Save money.

January
Save money.

- Stop impulse buying
- Weigh need vs. want
- Cook vs. go out
- Put more into savings, possible CD or something similar.


Alriiiiight, the new year is here! And I am sooo ready for it. Most of 2013 was really amazing for me, I'm just excited for the chance to make this entire year count- not just part of it.

Starting off strong with the intention of saving money... kind of a big deal for me. Thankfully, I'm lucky  to have a job with a steady paycheck. I'm even luckier that almost the entire paycheck is expendable, since my needs are covered by the government. My problem lies mostly in impulse buying. I have this money that I could do anything with, but I choose to spend it on whatever catches my attention in the moment. I've been better about it since deciding to get out of the Navy, but I'll need to up the ante.

A big problem where I work is going out to eat. It's so easy after a 16hr day to look around the room and drained faces and say, "Let's go out, we deserve it." This can happen anywhere from 4-6 nights a week. This month, I will make the genuine effort to decline invites out to dinner. In turn, I will be forced to cook more... you know, so as not to starve. Spending the money every week to cook will be much thriftier than eating out at places spending anywhere from $15-30 each on lunch and dinner. Buying my own groceries will get me right back into cooking, which I really enjoy when I do it. And that will just help me out on my overall health goal for the year.

Another thing I'd like to look into and possibly try is putting money in a CD. That or some other program that isn't just savings. Believe me, I've already started pumping plenty of extra money into the savings account just in the hopes of making more than a buck a month. It's a nice system for me, because the money is still accessible while accruing a bit more the whole time. I'm sure my bank has tons of options for me to put money away and make it untouchable for a while. I'll have to do some digging.

I will make exceptions for going out to eat for special occasions, and special occasions only. Such as tonight... I dog-sat for my good friends Christine and Ford, and they've offered to take me to dinner as a treat. That, I can do.


Happy New Year, everyone! I wish the best for everyone, and I hope that at the end of every day, you can sleep peacefully knowing you hold no grudges and regret nothing.
Also, I encourage you to take steps towards your own happiness this year. Find what makes you beam, and roll with it.
-Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment