November
Be mindful.
- Meditate, meditate, meditate.
- Breathing exercises.
Being in the present is a difficult thing for most of us to practice regularly. We busy our minds with to-do lists for the upcoming events on our social calendar or spend a lot of brain power thinking about things we wish we could have changed in the past. This month, I will work on weening myself off of those constant thoughts and will try very hard to focus on the present moment as it is happening (obviously). It will be tricky mainly because our silly human brains have developed to put tons of emphasis on the future. We no longer think about killing just enough to be fed for today; we think about meals days or weeks in advance. We no longer move our clan around to avoid being killed by predators and following game; we ponder what our next career move should be to get us that sweet gig in 5 to 10 years from now. Arghhh... brain, why can't you just be still for one minute?
This month should be interesting. I'm going to get fully back into the meditating business so I can spend at least 5 to 10 minutes daily focusing on my breath and physical body in the moment. Instead of getting worked up about things that could happen at work or have happened in the past, I will work on bringing myself fully into the moment as a way to manage emotions and stress.
Apparently, I have much to learn on this topic. In the past few months, I've set up a path to follow at the beginning of the month, but I hardly ever followed up by doing more research into that topic. From now on, I plan on spending an hour or two here and there gathering more information on these topics in the hopes of expanding my ideas.
This will be difficult, since I'm almost always living in the past or future. But it should also be refreshing to think about only what's in front of me.
Here I go.
-Jamie
- Breathing exercises.
Being in the present is a difficult thing for most of us to practice regularly. We busy our minds with to-do lists for the upcoming events on our social calendar or spend a lot of brain power thinking about things we wish we could have changed in the past. This month, I will work on weening myself off of those constant thoughts and will try very hard to focus on the present moment as it is happening (obviously). It will be tricky mainly because our silly human brains have developed to put tons of emphasis on the future. We no longer think about killing just enough to be fed for today; we think about meals days or weeks in advance. We no longer move our clan around to avoid being killed by predators and following game; we ponder what our next career move should be to get us that sweet gig in 5 to 10 years from now. Arghhh... brain, why can't you just be still for one minute?
This month should be interesting. I'm going to get fully back into the meditating business so I can spend at least 5 to 10 minutes daily focusing on my breath and physical body in the moment. Instead of getting worked up about things that could happen at work or have happened in the past, I will work on bringing myself fully into the moment as a way to manage emotions and stress.
Apparently, I have much to learn on this topic. In the past few months, I've set up a path to follow at the beginning of the month, but I hardly ever followed up by doing more research into that topic. From now on, I plan on spending an hour or two here and there gathering more information on these topics in the hopes of expanding my ideas.
This will be difficult, since I'm almost always living in the past or future. But it should also be refreshing to think about only what's in front of me.
Here I go.
-Jamie
No comments:
Post a Comment