Music brought to you by Mo Kolours.
(Note: this was written while on the cruise.)
This week will be intense.
A few months ago, I suggested my friend Bryan and I go on a cruise together. A few months later, we’re on an Atlantis gay boy cruise. We’re cruising to Mexico with 2,000 gay men.
And I could not be having a better time so far. This gay cruise has been absolutely fantastic. The gay boys are totally fine with this girl here crashing the party. So many times I’ve just walked into an elevator or a different room and heard, “Whoa, a girl!” Sometimes that’s followed by an enthusiastic hug or even a full conversation. These gay boys sure know how to be inclusive.
A few months ago, I suggested my friend Bryan and I go on a cruise together. A few months later, we’re on an Atlantis gay boy cruise. We’re cruising to Mexico with 2,000 gay men.
And I could not be having a better time so far. This gay cruise has been absolutely fantastic. The gay boys are totally fine with this girl here crashing the party. So many times I’ve just walked into an elevator or a different room and heard, “Whoa, a girl!” Sometimes that’s followed by an enthusiastic hug or even a full conversation. These gay boys sure know how to be inclusive.
As for the project, the past few days as I’ve been on vacation, I’ve not been
very good at focusing on the now. However, I think as a whole, I’ve been great
at focusing on living life ‘in the moment.’ These two things are slightly
different, in my opinion. Bringing my full attention to the now, as it happens,
takes concentration and a bit of brain power. Simply living in the moment, to
me, means not thinking too much into the future. It means living today, as if I
won’t be around tomorrow.
Maybe it’s okay to make those distinctions.
I feel as though it was an
accident but a convenient one that I chose November as the ‘mindful’ month.
Many of my friends are posting statuses on facebook about being thankful, since
it’s thanksgiving time. To me, being mindful means sometimes I’m overly aware
of how thankful I am for everything. Sitting on the deck of this cruise ship,
catching rays and watching the gay guys walk by, I’m overwhelmed with thanks
for the human spirit. They’re welcoming, inclusive, and mostly enthusiastic
about my presence. This makes me thankful to be human and for having the means
to take such a cruise or break from work.
Sitting on my own personal balcony alone, typing this as
Bryan enjoys a dinner for singles to meet, preparing to go to a comedy show
where I personally know the comedian from introducing myself the night before…
I am yet again overwhelmed with that feeling of gratitude for the world being
the way that it is.
We’re all here for a purpose, and if that’s just so we meet
these individuals in tiny speedos with open minds in a world of inclusivity and
freedom and love… then I will take that. Any day.
Being mindful sometimes goes hand in hand with being
thankful, to sum up this week.
-Jamie
-Jamie
No comments:
Post a Comment